You would have thought that after making the same mistakes so many times, I must have learnt them by now. But oh I’m so dumb, I never do learn quite as fast. You say there’s a time lag between monetary policies and economic activities, but I’d say no time lag is greater than the one between the brain and heart.
Here’s a (growing) list of mistakes I’ve made
And I’m mindful as to prevent making them again.
- Knowing that my time should be given to my top priorities. Principles: Eat That Frog
- My time is defined by my own monetary sense so it helps me to think twice when something sounds amazing monetarily but is actually not. Principles: Trade-off between Capital (K) and Labour (L)
- Procrastination is a sign of being time inconsistent. Short-term enjoyment (procrastination) at long-term suffering (not getting tasks done when it can be done in 2min). Principles: We are time inconsistent.
- Stop drinking my own kool-aid. Principles: Be my greatest critic.
- It’s easy to fall into my old extrovert self of meeting friends and getting energy from people. It gets overwhelming and then I lose sight of myself. So, take time to come back to me, to give time to my introvert self and spend time alone. I’m grateful for the lockdown, because of that. Principles: Balance. Yin and Yang.
- (I don’t think I do this anymore, but…) It’s easy to get attached to people because people have the most beautiful souls. Instead, I started to love them with everything except all my heart. Then, when people leave, my heart is all right. Principles: Everyone is replaceable. That’s the truth. It’s as easy as that.
- Giving time and energy to help people who do not want to change. Not everyone wants that, not everyone is keen on change. Some people are just ranting, not seeking for advice to change the state that they are in. Principles: You can bring a cow to the water, but you cannot force it to drink.
- Doubts exist. Be mindful when the good times are here again. Kick your own butt if you need to, and get out of that deadly spiral. Principles: Newton’s first principle. What is in motion stays in motion until affected by an external force. Be that external force for yourself.
- Get a deposit for work to be done, and choose your clients carefully. Words only mean so much, don’t believe everything. Principles: As they say in trading, show me the numbers. Talk is cheap. Numbers don’t lie.
- When in doubt, watch YouTube then read articles of how to solve it. It’s faster. Esp when excel problems. Principles: Model after experts.